Information for clients about fees and the first session.
What is the process?
1. Appointment with referring doctor Better Access Plan initiated or letter of referral created
2. Fill in initial questionnaires.
3. Six sessions with Clinical Psychologist Dr H. Karen Li.
4. Fill in review questionnaires.
5. Appointment with doctor to review progress & assess need for further sessions
6. If doctor agrees four further sessions with Clinical Psychologist Dr H. Karen Li
What happens in the first session?
- If you are an adult the first session will usually entail gathering relevant information and history.
- Karen will probably discuss the proposed treatment plan with you including the number of sessions before the first review and talk about providing feedback to the referring party if they are a GP or specialist.
- If the appointment is regarding a child (aged under 16), only the parent(s) are to come to the first session unless you’re advised otherwise.
- At that session the process will be much like that just described for an adult.
- Usually, the child will attend the second session for assessment and then the third session is often for the practitioner to meet again with the parent(s) again for discussion about what the issue is and a discussion of the proposed treatment plan.
What do I need to bring?
- If you have a Doctor’s referral or any relevant paperwork please bring it with you to your first appointment.
- Please bring any previous reports or assessments you think might be relevant.
- For children attending please being any copies of school reports, other assessment reports or Doctors letters you have.
Do I need a referral from a GP?
- No referral is required if you pay out of pocket.
- Substantial rebates are available if you meet eligibility criteria and obtain a referral from your GP.
How much does it cost to see a psychologist?
- The APS reviews the recommended fees for psychologists annualy on 1 July. The recommended fee from 1 July 2018 for a standard psychological consultation of 45- 60 minutes is $251 + GST if applicable.
- At Thoughtful Health (Greenslopes, Brisbane) fees start from $200/ session for individual sessions. Sessions are available outside standard business hours.
- Cancellation fees apply, please ask when booking an appointment.
Are there any rebates available?
- Medicare rebates are available if you have a referral from your GP with a Mental Health Care Plan.
- Approximate rebate of $126.50 per 45-60min individual session. More information about medicare rebates available HERE.
- Your private health insurance may also have rebates, but these cannot be claimed in conjunction with a medicare rebate. Please contact your health fund for details.
- Dr H. Karen Li also accepts approved Workcover claims and patients under an eating disorders mental health care plan.